Ruth Anne's Blog

Personal blog and Travel Diary

Oct 10, 2009

Saturday in Siena

On Saturday I was able to reserve another room in the Albergo, so I was able to stay and relax one more day in Siena. I decided to go and take a look at the Duomo which is absolutely huge. Both the inside and the outside are very ornate. When you walk in, the columns tower over everything and are made of black and white marble. It is really stunning. The ceiling of the cathedral is themed liked the night sky and where the columns meet the top of the dome, the busts of all of the priests or cardinals line the wall. The floor is as elaborate as the ceiling. When you look down, there are stone mosaic patterns depicting different religious themes.

For lunch I had papa pomodoro which they later told me was a typical dish from Tuscany. I was very happy that I ate it and afterwards my stomach felt the most content than it had during the entire trip. After lunch I figured out the logistics to go to Firenze. Once I got that out of the way I continued to tour the city. It began to rain in the afternoon. It has been raining in the afternoons all week. It was the perfect time to go indoors and check out the different museums. I found the most impressive place to be the Baptistry. The entire ceiling was ornately painted. After that I went to the museum and saw all of the precious artifacts and paintings that were originally from the Duomo. I found the display of religious relics to be the most fascinating. There were all sorts of items that were from different saints. The most striking relic that I saw was the finger of Santa Caterina and what appeared to be the top part of her shoulders and head at a shrine in the Basilica di San Domenico (but i'm not sure). After that I continued my city walking tour and called it a day.

1 Comments:

At 6:17 AM, Anonymous Jesus said...

From the murals on the wall i can see why the church is so big. That baby is a giant!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home