Ruth Anne's Blog

Personal blog and Travel Diary

Oct 10, 2009

Friday in Siena

On Friday I woke up not sure of my plans for the day. My original intention was to stay one more day in Volterra. Being in the country is so nice, I didn't necessarily want to travel and spend most of the day on a bus. At breakfast I met up with two lovely ladies who invited me to join them on a walk to Volterra. I showed them the short cut that my two german friends had figured out earlier in the week. If you don't follow the shortcut, the walk to Volterra is on the road which can be very stressful since there are no sidewalks. At the front desk, the attendant advised me to go to Siena by catching the noon bus. I decided to follow his suggestion. When I came back from my walk, I quickly packed and reserved a room at the Albergo Bernini. I didn't do any research, the Albergo was the first entry in my guidebook under inexpensive acomodations. I barely had anytime to eat before I had to hurry and catch the bus. The bus trip went very smoothly and I ended up in Siena by 3 pm.




To tell you the truth, I could spend all of my time in the Albergo Bernini. It is absolutely fabulous. The bus dropped me off at the San Dominico church which was so close to the Albergo. When I was shown my room, I was absolutely delighted, I had such a wonderful view of the cathedral and of the city. The place was absolutely perfect. Once I arrived, I decided to walk down to the main square called the Piazza di Campo. It was really amazing. The plaza opens up to this huge shell shaped square which is not flat. The municipal building just towers over the square. The dimensions of the buildings takes your breathe away. I have never seen anything quite like it. I sat in the square and ate a Pizza Diavola, which again was very forgettable. But I didn't mind. Its funny to see how many people walk around with there dogs. Dogs are everywhere, from San Gimignano, Volterra, Piza, and now Siena, everyone has dogs. In the nightime there was a thunder shower. The lightnening and the thunder were amazing. I tried to take a video of it. I will be spending the night in Siena one more evening. There is another room available across from mine so I can stay. Its a shame to leave so quickly. Spending more time in Siena will be so nice.

2 Comments:

At 6:14 AM, Anonymous Jesus said...

Ruru! A smurf threw up in your room!! I like the monster church.

 
At 9:31 AM, Blogger Ruth Anne said...

he he.... i know its super blue !

 

Post a Comment

<< Home